Thursday, August 5, 2010

Introduction

Word Yo!  So, I hope you all can bear with me as this is my very first attempt to blog, or post, or write anything on the web.  Expect a few mistakes. 
     As you know by now, I have a great passion for our oceans and in particular, the oceans top predators, SHARKS.  Though sharks are not something that very many people think of when they think of Vancouver Island, or Canada for that matter my goal is to change that.  We here on the beautiful West Coast share our waters with around 14 different species of sharks.  That doesn't even include Skates and Rays which part of the same family.  On this site I will be profiling a different Shark species every few days ( or every week, I haven't decided yet).  Just a few sharks you can expect to learn about are the Sixgill Sharks of Hornby Island, the Beautiful and graceful Blue Shark, Spiny Dogfish (yes they are a shark and not just a pest to fishermen), the in famous GREAT WHITE, and even the second largest fish in the world, the Basking Shark.  You will learn where you can see them, how often they frequent Vancouver Island and how rare they are.
      It may be shocking to most of you that any of these species  ( plus a few more) exist around here.  Sadly, they are not as abundant as they once were.  Due to over fishing and the declining health of all of the oceans around the world, most of these species are endangered or listed as a species at risk.  It may sound idealistic and a bit of a cliche, but it is something that we can change if we care enough to put a little effort into it.  This blog, is my little contribution to that cause.
    Before I go I would just like to point out, I AM NOT AN EXPERT and don't claim to be.  I am writing what I know and I don't know everything.  If I have missed something vital, posted some misinformation or you would just like to share something that you think is fascinating about sharks, PLEASE LET ME KNOW! 
   So, in closing, I would just like to thank-you for being curios enough to visit me.  I look forward to sharing a wealth of information ( and hopefully some great pictures) with you and anyone else who cares enough to stop by.

3 comments: